Wednesday 23 January 2008

an epiphany 23rd jan

This whole idea just struck me as I was searching for the book, Stuff, The hidden lives of everyday Things. Then I found, Cradle to Cradle, a book by William McDonough, whose presentation about his development of 12 green cities in China was... simply... jaw-dropping. Then I found, Worldchanging: The User's guide to the 21st century.

Today, we are witnessing the intersection of politics, social technologies, and the environment. I believe that we are entering into another Enlightenment more enlightened than the previous one. I think today, we are in the Green Enlightenment. Our era will be defined by how we were able to tap on all of our technologies to solve issues of sustainability. Because I think, even the issue of climate change pales in comparison to the isse of sustainability. What must we do in order to survive this century and the next? Climate change is only part of the problem - there is this entire disaster that stems from our immense consumption of the resources of the planet...

I'm not Thomas Friedman, so I can't fly around the world asking for the opinion of TEDsters and other movers and shakers of the world. I do not believe that all these problems are too big to solve - it is rather, that the size of the problem should make us want to solve it even more. All the more we have to take this problem to the global level.

Just maybe, this is what our generation will have to do...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: