Monday 10 March 2008

Lessons from running a camp at MGS primary

That the inequalities in Singapore are more complicated than I expected. Apparently, the divide between the elite schools and the non-elite schools are much deeper than I expected. I mean, I sort of already anticipated the kind of issues that I would come across, but I didn't realised the complexity that actually causes the inequalities. As it turns out, income inequality is only one kind of inequality that exists in Singapore.

The real factor that causes extreme elitism, or simply elitism of the worst kind was that, the culture between neighbourhood schools and elite schools ARE really different. And elite schools ARE really better, in terms of inculcating MORE POSITIVE values to the students, giving them self-belief and confidence, THINGS THAT ARE SORELY MISSING in neighbourhood schools other than the exceptions. What are also missing in neighbourhood schools are GOOD teachers who believe in students, and a POSITIVE culture for achievement, where students are more than another statistic, but are treated as whole persons.

It was an eye-opener handling those kids who are barely 10, 11, 12 years old. At their age, I feel like a DUNCE now. I think I BARELY made it to where I am today. There were too many opportunities for me to fall through the cracks. Already I can see why Tan Li Feng could be a president's scholar, because I am seeing people of her kind of assertiveness and dominance, focus and drive, things I barely recognised as important till late secondary/JC level.

So the main learning point is: HOW DO YOU NURTURE A CULTURE OF PERSON-CENTRED EXCELLENCE IN SINGAPORE EDUCATION, SO THEY CAN EXCEL FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES? How would it look like? What are the steps? What are the obstacles?

(On another note: It would take a different kind of NIE to produce a different kind of teacher who is more than just concerned about the big fat bonuses. Though it is an incentive, it is an incentive of a wrong type. )

And last of all, I think that LOVE IS THE REAL BUILDER OF COMMUNITIES.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BLAH BLAH BLAH SAME OLD SHIT THAT YOU SEE ON THE STRAITS TIMES COLUMNS. IF YOU WENT OUT AND GOT AN HONEST JOB YOU WOULD HAVE LEARNT THIS EARLIER AND MUCH MORE.